• The breakpoint will not currently be hit…

    The source code is different from the original version. To allow the breakpoint to be hit when the source code is different, right-click on the breakpoint, choose ‘Location ….’, and turn on ‘Allow the source code to be different from the original version.’ To allow this for all breakpoints, disable the option “Require source files to exactly match the original version’ under Tools, Options, Debugging, General.

    It’s the second time now I got this error. Everything was fine before, and no major changes were made. Both proposed options (Allow the source code to be different for this single breakpoint or for all) are not satisfying: I’m compiling with VS2005 so why is my source code outdated…?

    Checking the output-screen while running the Build shows that all my projects from this solution are not built because ‘Project not selected to build for this solution configuration’. I did not change the solution configuration so that’s strange….I’ve then checked the configuration settings (Right-click on the solution, select ‘Properties’ –> ‘Configuration Properties’) and none of my projects was enabled. So I enabled them again, compiled it and the error message is away.

    Today I found another reason for this error message in another project: There was in error displayed in IIS, probably because the files are on a movable partition so sometimes it’s not available. I just deleted the entry in IIS and created a new one and now it works fine again (probably until  I remove the drive temporarily again… 😉 )

    Update on 07. Sept 2008: Today I found another reason for the problem, even though I don’t know why it happened: Recompiling and cleaning solution did not help. While compiling the temporary ASP.net files were not refreshed. Check the output while compiling and you’ll see lots of entries like this:

    ‘aspnet_wp.exe’ (Managed): Loaded ‘c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\myproject\c726c8aef\6c8883fed\assembly\dl3\061ed431d\0091d3a96_1cf6c801\AjaxControlToolkit.DLL’, Symbols loaded.

    I’ve checked the files and saw that they are 3 days old. Nevertheless they are still used, so my code changes did not have any effect. It was not possible to delete them, so I had to shutdown my IIS, delete all files within ‘’c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\myproject\’ and start again. And now it works! I still need to investigate why it wasn’t updated automatically…

Leave a comment

If you want to share your opinion, leave a comment.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">